Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
The County Clerk is Charlotte Scott Schmidt and is elected to a four-year term in November, of the Presidential Election year, and takes office in January.
The County Clerk serves as the Election Office, the Public Freedom of Information Officer, and the Secretary for the Board of County Commissioners.
· Payroll and Accounts Payable
· Financial Reports
· Audit all Budgets and Compute Tax Levies
· Balance and Distribute Motor Vehicle Tax
· Provide Budget Assistance to Townships, Cities, and Special Districts
· Prepare Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Rolls
· Prepare State Assessed, in Lieu of Tax and special Assessment Tax Rolls
· Maintain Tax accounts
· Official Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners
· Keeper of Commissioners’ official records
· Maintain Inventory and Fixed Assets
· Neighborhood Revitalization for unincorporated areas
· Assist with special districts creation
· Maintain Tax Unit Maps
· Handle Road Petitions / Vacations
· Homestead preparation for the elderly
· Issue permits and Licenses
· Forms for Birth Certificates
· Records for old Birth and Death Records (1886 – 1911)
For more information about the role of the Kansas County Clerk, visit the Kansas County Clerks & Election Officials Association website at www.kscountyclerks.org.