Montgomery County allows drop off of household hazardous waste to our designated facility located at 112 N. Wald, Independence, KS.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE (HHW) is waste generated in the home that is considered to be hazardous and a potential source for serious health risks. HHW includes waste items that are flammable, toxic, reactive, or corrosive.
Collection Days are scheduled on the third Wednesday of the month from March through November.
If you are not sure if an item will be accepted, please call 620-331-4139 between 2:30pm and 4:00pm for information.
Household Hazardous Waste
Items Not Accepted
- Used oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, gasoline
- Household cleaners
- Paint and paint products, spray paint
- Alkaline and Ni-Cad batteries
- Mercury and products containing mercury (Thermometers, etc)
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
- Electronic Waste
- NO BUSINESS WASTE
- Check containers – make sure lids are tight.
- Pack waste in sturdy containers for transportation, such as tub or box.
- Wrap leaking or dirty containers in a clean plastic bag and use an absorbent (kitty litter).
- Transport the materials in your trunk, or truck bed of your vehicle.
- Include as much information as possible for the waste you are dropping off.