Charlotte Scott-Schmidt is the Montgomery County Clerk.
The County Clerk is elected to a four year term in November of the Presidential Election year and takes office in January following the election. Ms. Scott-Schmidt also serves as Election Officer and Public Freedom of Information Officer for the county. Ms. Scott-Schmidt is the official secretary for the Board of County Commissioners.
The Montgomery County Clerk is a member of Kansas County Clerks Association. Below is a brief overview of the services provided by the County Clerk.
- Service to the Public
- Payroll and Accounts Payable
- Financial Reports
- Audit all Budgets and Compute Tax Levies
- Balance and Distribute Motor Vehicle Tax
- Provide Budget Assistance to Townships, Cities, and Special Districts
- Prepare Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Rolls
- Prepare State Assessed, in Lieu of Tax and special Assessment Tax Rolls
- Maintain Tax accounts
- Official Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners
- Keeper of Commissioners’ official records
- Maintain Inventory and Fixed Assets
- Hearing / Tracking for appeals
- Assist with special districts creation
- Maintain Tax Unit Maps
- Handle Road Petitions / Vacations
- Homestead preparation for the elderly
- Issue permits and Licenses
Forms for birth certificates and death certificates are also available.
If you need to contact the County Clerk the number is 620-330-1200. (fax number 620-330-1202.) Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.