Role and Responsibilities
The Legal Assistant I is an entry-level position within the Montgomery County Attorney’s Office. The duties of the Legal Assistant I may include but are not limited to:
- Answering incoming phone calls to the office, providing needed information to the callers or referring the callers to others within the office;
- Assisting persons visiting the office in person with needed information and/or directing them to others within the office or to external offices or agencies;
- Serves as a legal assistant to an assigned attorney within the office with the primary responsibility of managing the files and other information for cases assigned to one of the District Judges within the 14th Judicial District;
- Accurate data entry for all information on cases assigned to them;
- Gathering criminal history information as needed on assigned cases;
- Assists attorneys within the office with clerical duties related to the preparation of cases to the court and/or jury;
- Filing pleadings with the Court using computer software;
- Preparing correspondence to send to external agencies;
- Maintaining confidentiality regarding information within the office;
- Assisting others within the office with assigned tasks as needed;
- Perform all other tasks as assigned by the Office Manager and/or County Attorney.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
High School Diploma or GED required; Previous work experience in an office environment. Additional education or experience related to the criminal justice system preferred. Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Experience with Microsoft Office programs, Full-Case case management software and/or Prosecutor by Karpel software, ability to perform data entry accurately to maintain accurate information, ability to perform multiple, routine tasks with minimal supervision and the ability to communicate effectively with others inside and outside of the office.